HNCs, HNDs, FdAs, Degrees and PGCE
Boston College offers a wide range of University Level courses, in 17 different course areas, so whatever your interests there will be a course to take your learning to the next stage.
Listed below are all of the University Level course options available at Boston College, to help you find the right course for you!
HNCs and HNDs
- Art and Design HNC and HND
- Art and Design (Fashion and Textiles Pathway) HNC and HND
- Art and Design (Graphic Design Pathway) HNC and HND
- Art and Design (Photography Pathway) HNC and HND
- Business HNC and HND (Part Time HNC and HND options available)
- Computing HNC and HND
- Creative Media Production (Film) HNC and HND
- Engineering HNC and HND
- Health Care Practice HNC and HND
- International Tourism Management HNC and HND
- Music HNC and HND
- Public Services HNC and HND*
- Performing Arts HNC and HND
- Sport and Exercise Sciences HNC and HND
Boston College's HNCs and HNDs are designed to prepare you for a specific career and generally take less time to complete than a Degree.
A Higher National Certificate (HNC) is the equivalent to the first year of university (Level 4), and takes one year to complete. Some courses do provide the option of studying part time over two years. An HNC is one level below an HND.
Once you have completed your HNC, you can either go straight into employment or you can convert your qualification into a Higher National Diploma (HND). An HND is the next qualification level above (Level 5), and will take an additional year of study to complete. The course is equivalent to the second year at university.
The HNCs and HNDs provide the opportunity to 'top-up' your qualification at university to a full Bachelor's Degree or enter full time employment at a higher level.
The below Foundation Degrees available at Boston College are all awarded by Bishop Grosseteste University.
- Professional Studies (Early Childhood) FdA
- Professional Studies (Education) FdA
- Professional Practice in Special Educational Needs and Disability FdA
Boston College offers three Foundation Degrees within the Teaching Education and Early Years course areas. The Foundation Degrees usually take two years to complete and are the equivalent to the first two years of a Bachelor's Degree.
Upon completion of your Foundation Degree you will have the opportunity to 'top-up' your degree with a further year of study at Boston College or at university.
BA (Hons) Top Up
Boston College now offer BA (Hons) Top Up. Providing you the opportunity to study from Level 4 (HNC) to Level 6 (Bachelor's Degree) without moving away to university.
- Business BA (Hons) Top Up (Awarded by Bishop Grosseteste University)
- Education Studies BA (Hons) Top Up (Awarded by University of Derby)
Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Boston College now offer the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Post 14 (Education and Training) course. This course is designed to develop outstanding teachers for the UK Further Education and Skills sector, as well as for Post-14 education in other domestic and international settings.
Need Some More Advice?
If you are unsure about which course is right for you or which path to take, Boston College Careers team are here to help. The Career Advisers offer FREE impartial Career Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) and are available before you start to college, whilst you are studying at college and when you are ready to take the next step.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of the College's Careers Advisers, they are available by appointment at both the Boston and Spalding campuses, by either calling the College's Information Line on 01205 313218 or by email.