Education is Empowering
Education is life changing and we want you to have the opportunity to reach your full potential and progress your career! Gaining higher qualifications is an amazing achievement, it is empowering, and it will stay with you throughout your life.
Discover the next step of your journey with us...
A Level 5 HND is a two year course. During your first year you will study a Level 4 HNC. This can be a standalone qualification. Upon successful completion of the first year, you will then progress on to the second year to study the Level 5 HND.
A Higher National Certificate (HNC) is the equivalent to the first year of university (Level 4), and takes one year to complete. Some courses do provide the option of studying part time over two years. An HNC is one level below an HND.
Once you have completed your HNC, you can either go straight into employment or you can convert your qualification into a Higher National Diploma (HND). An HND is the next qualification level above (Level 5), and will take an additional year of study to complete. The course is equivalent to the second year at university.
The HNCs and HNDs provide the opportunity to 'top-up' your qualification at university to a full Bachelor's Degree or enter full time employment at a higher level.
HN Flex *NEW*
HN Flex is a new way of accessing flexible University Level study. You can develop your existing subject knowledge and skills by undertaking 'bitesize' study in as little as 15 weeks. The units available all come from a full BTEC Higher National qualification - which have been developed by employers, and recognised and valued for their content and relevance to industry.
The HN Flex units are very useful for supporting your ongoing CPD. For example, if you want to develop your skills and knowledge at a higher level. You might also be looking to reskill for new employment opportunities.
- Automation, Robotics and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) HN Unit Level 4
- Customer Experience Management HN Unit Level 4
- Electro, Pneumatics and Hydraulics Systems HN Unit Level 4
- Management Accounting HN Unit Level 4
- Managing Conference and Events HN Unit Level 4
- Programming HN Unit Level 4
- Website Design and Development HN Unit Level 4
- Robotics HN Unit Level 5
Foundation Degrees usually take two years to complete and are the equivalent to the first two years of a Bachelor's Degree. Upon completion of your Foundation Degree you will have the opportunity to 'top-up' your degree with a further year of study at Boston College or at university.
The below Foundation Degrees available at Boston College are all awarded by University of Derby.
- Creative Arts (Art and Design) FdA Level 5
- Creative Arts (Fashion and Textiles) FdA Level 5
- Creative Arts (Graphic Design and Digital Design) FdA Level 5
- Creative Arts (Media and Film) FdA Level 5
- Creative Arts (Performing Arts) FdA Level 5
- Creative Arts (Music) FdA Level 5
- Creative Arts (Photography) FdA Level 5
- Children and Young People Early Years FdA Level 5
- Children and Young People (Teaching Assistant) FdA Level 5
- Children and Young people (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities SEND) FdA Level 5
- Sport, Fitness and Wellbeing FdSc Level 5
BA/BSc (Hons) and Top Ups
Boston College offer a full BA (Hons) as well as Top Ups in BA/BSc (Hons). Providing you the opportunity to study from Level 4 (HNC) to Level 6 (Bachelor's Degree) without moving away to university.
Certificate in Education and Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Boston College now offer the Certificate in Education Post 14 (Education and Training) and Postgraduate Certificate in Education Post 14 (Education and Training) course. These courses are designed to develop outstanding teachers for the UK Further Education and Skills sector, as well as for Post-14 education in other domestic and international settings.
Need Some More Advice?
If you are unsure about which course is right for you or which path to take, Boston College Careers team are here to help. The Career Advisers offer FREE impartial Career Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) and are available before you start to college, whilst you are studying at college and when you are ready to take the next step.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of the College's Careers Advisers, they are available by appointment at both the Boston and Spalding campuses, by either calling the College's Information Line on 01205 313218 or by email.