If you like the sound of an apprenticeship but would like to get more experience first, than a traineeship at Boston College could be the starting point for you!
Traineeships are designed to prepare young people for the world of work, and are a great first step towards an apprenticeship or employment. They are available to 16-24 year olds, with qualifications lower than Level 4, and are available in many industry areas.
Traineeships provide you with an opportunity to gain real work experience, alongside developing job skills and improve your English and maths qualifications (if necessary).
The course programme is completed over a flexible period of six weeks up to one year (although most Traineeships last for less than 6 months) - split between Boston College attendance and work experience with a local employer. The course content is tailored to your individual career needs and aims.
A high quality work placement and training are at the core of all traineeships, providing you with the skills and experience that employers are looking for, helping you improve your career prospects either with an apprenticeship or full time employment.
Along with developing the skills and experience that employers are looking for, a traineeship at Boston College will also benefit you in the following ways:
- You'll have the opportunity to develop your CV by adding valuable work experience and industry knowledge.
- By taking part in work preparation training, you'll be putting yourself in a better position when competing for future apprenticeships or job vacancies.
- You'll have access to English and maths support, if necessary, which will over time improve your career prospects and long term earning potential.
- By gaining work experience from a high quality work placement, you'll be 'work ready' and have developed the confidence to take the first step towards an apprenticeship or employment.
- At the end of your traineeship you will have the opportunity to be interviewed for a position within the company if one is available. If there isn't a vacancy or any apprenticeships available, you will be provided an exit interview and meaningful feedback to help you work towards securing an apprenticeship or employment in the future.
A traineeship is ideal if you are actively looking for a job, but would like to increase your skills and experience within the workplace. They could also be suitable if you have been unsuccessful when applying for an apprenticeship due to your current skill level and experience.
Boston College traineeships are available to anyone aged 16-24 years old with qualifications lower than Level 3, who is motivated to work, unemployed or work fewer than 16 hours a week and have little work experience.
As a trainee, you are not entitled to be paid but employees may support you, if they wish, with transport and meals. The main aim of a traineeship is to gain work experience within a real working company.
Depending on your personal circumstances, you may be able to access financial support with travel and childcare. Please visit the 'Financial Assistance' page for further information or alternatively you can call our information line on 01205 313218.
Need some more advice?
If you are unsure if a traineeship is right for you, or which path to take, Boston College's Careers Advisers are here to help. The Career Advisers offer FREE Career Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) and are available before you come to college, whilst you are studying at college and when you are ready to take the next step.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of the College's Careers Adviser, they are available by appointment at both our Boston and Spalding campuses, by calling the College's Information Line on 01205 313218 or by email .