Discover a New Way of Learning
Boston College's Distance Learning courses allow you the flexibility to study wherever you are, arranging your studies around your work and family life. The courses provide you with a convenient way to gain or develop existing skills without attending College full time.
All of our Distance Learning courses are FREE* and are accredited by leading awarding bodies. You will be provided all of the learning materials you need to complete the course. You will also have a variety of learning methods available to you, ranging from online, workbook based or a combination, depending on your personal learning style and your course of choice.
If you want to learn independently at your own pace, Distance Learning could be the learning path for you! Below are a list of the Distance Learning courses available.
- Allergy Awareness for those Working within the Service Sector Certificate Level 2
- Creating a Business Start-Up Level 2
- Lean Organisation Management Techniques Certificate Level 2
- Living in a Fair and Diverse Society Certificate Level 2
- Principles of Business Administration Certificate Level 2
- Principles of Customer Service Certificate Level 2
- Principles of Team Leading Certificate Level 2
- Understanding Retail Operations Certificate Level 2
- Allergy Awareness for those Working with Children Certificate Level 2
- Awareness of Bullying in Children and Young People Level 2
- Behaviour that Challenges in Children Level 2
- Introducing Caring for Children and Young People Certificate Level 2*NEW COURSE*
- Understanding Children and Young Person's Mental Health Certificate Level 2
- Understanding Common Illnesses Affecting Children Certificate Level 2
- Allergy Awareness for those Working in Adult Social Care Certificate Level 2
- Awareness of Mental Health Problems Certificate Level 2
- Caring for the Elderly Certificate Level 2
- Common Health Conditions Certificate Level 2
- Counselling Skills Certificate Level 2
- Falls Prevention Awareness Certificate Level 2
- Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care Certificate Level 2
- Prevention and Control of Infection Award Level 2
- Principles of Dementia Care Certificate Level 2
- Principles of Care Planning Certificate Level 2
- Principles of End of Life Care Certificate Level 2
- Principles of the Mental Health Care Worker Certificate Level 2
- Principles of Working with Individuals with Learning Difficulties Certificate Level 2
- Safeguarding, Prevent and British Values Certificate Level 2*NEW COURSE*
- Self-Harm and Suicide Awareness and Prevention Certificate Level 2*NEW COURSE*
- Special Education Needs and Disability Certificate Level 2*NEW COURSE*
- Understanding Autism Certificate Level 2
- Understanding Care and Management of Diabetes Certificate Level 2
- Understanding Dignity and Safeguarding in Adult Health and Social Care Certificate Level 2
- Understanding Nutrition and Health Certificate Level 2
- Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care Certificate Level 2
- Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties Certificate Level 2
*subject to eligibility - If your postcode is located in one of the following areas, Greater Manchester, Liverpool City, Cambridge and Peterborough, Tees Valley and West Midlands we regret to inform you that we are not able to offer free courses as you will not be eligible for course funding.
Please note, that a £85 withdrawn fee may be payable if you start the course and then choose to withdraw or do not complete the course.
FREE Course Completion Reward!
Once you have successfully completed a Boston College Distance Learning course, you will be sent a gift voucher which can be exchange for one of the following:
★ A haircut* at one of the College's Style Academy salons
★ A beauty treatment* at one of the College's Style Academy salons
★ A two course meal* in the College's Eden Restaurant
*exemptions apply. Please contact our Distance Learning Team for more information.
What our Distance Learning Learners have to say...
The Distance Learning courses at Boston College are very easy to access and there is a good range to choose from. I enjoyed receiving the tailored feedback from my personal tutors, and assessment deadlines were very reasonable.
I have enjoyed studying my Distance Learning course with Boston College. The course will easy to access, anywhere, anytime! I feel I learnt the same skills I would have if I attended a face-to-face class - I would recommended it to anyone who are unable to attend College in person.
Thank you for the support during my recent Distance Learning Mental Health course. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and returning back to education. I'm already planning my next course!
The Distance Learning Level 2 Counselling course has given me a great insight into counselling practice and have confirmed my desire to become a qualified counsellor. I found the Distance Learning approach fitted well around my existing work and home commitments. In addition, the support, guidance and feedback from my tutor throughout my studies was spot on.
I have completed four Distance Learning courses with Boston College. Enrolling on the courses was quick and straightforward and because it all takes place online, I can start the course as soon as it has been processed. The courses themselves are clear, easy to follow and very user friendly. My personal tutor was also available to help and offer support throughout the whole course.
Distance Learning FAQs
Boston College's Distance Learning courses allow you the flexibility to study wherever you are, arranging your studies around your work and family life.
Once you have applied, you will be contacted by a member of the Distance Learning Team who will confirm your place on the course. You will then be sent all of your learning resources. These will either be online or paper-based workbooks, depending on your personal preference and the course you have chosen to study.
The course will consist of your working through information and activities, as well as answering assessment questions.
You can apply and enrol on a Distance Learning course at any time. Your start date will be the day you receive your course learning materials.
The duration of each Distance Learning courses differs. By clicking on one of the courses above, will give you a guide for each specific course.
The maximum duration for any of the Distance Learning courses to completed is 14 weeks.
To be able to meet all assessment deadlines we advise that you spend a minimum of 5-10 hours a week studying.
You will need to be aged 19 or over to complete a Distance Learning course. You will also need to have at least a Level 1 qualification in English/Literacy or equivalent. This is due to the course requiring you to write/type your answers for assessment purposes.
Boston College can assess your English/Literacy level before you enrol on a Distance Learning course, as well as providing you the opportunity to complete your Level 1 English if necessary.
Individual eligibility will be reviewed by the Distance Learning team, and this will be communicated to you.
Yes, all of the Distance Learning courses are accredited by leading awarding bodies.
Boston College accept that sometimes there are exceptional circumstances that prevent you from completing the course. If you find yourself struggling with the qualification, support staff will always try to help you find a workable resolution. However, if choose to withdraw from a Distance Learning course, you may have to pay a non-completion fee of £85 to cover the administration costs, materials and registration fees.
You will be allocated your own study pack, (online or paper-based), and will be supported by a personal tutor who you can contact throughout your studies.
As a Boston College learner you will also be entitled to the same support services and additional benefits as those students attending onsite college. i.e. join Totum, access counselling services, use of the library and tutor support. For more information, please visit our 'Student Support' and 'Student Life' pages.
If you would like to speak to someone further regarding Distance Learning, please call 01205 365701 and ask to speak to a member of the Distance Learning Team.
Need some more advice?
If you are unsure about which course is right for you, Boston College Careers Advisers are here to help. The Career Advisers offer FREE impartial Career Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) and are available before you start to college, whilst you are studying at college and when you are ready to take the next step.
If you would like to make an appointment with one of the College's Careers Advisers, they are available by appointment at both the Boston and Spalding campuses, by calling the College's Information Line on 01205 313218.