Telephonists receive and direct callers in commercial, industrial and other establishments, and operate telephone (public) and office (private) switchboards to advise on, and assist with, making telephone calls and to relay incoming, outgoing and internal calls.
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
- Alerts emergency services in cases of fire, crime or accident.
- Provides directory information, dialling codes and details of charges.
- Gives advice on dialling and other special features available.
- Reports any faults on telephone operating system.
- Operates switchboard to connect outgoing calls or to relay incoming or internal calls.
- Receives callers and directs them to appropriate person or department.
Active Listening, Speaking, Critical Thinking, Monitoring, Learning Strategies, Reading Comprehension, Active Learning, Writing, Mathematics, Science