Rail construction and maintenance operatives lay, re-lay, repair and examine railway track and maintain surrounding areas.
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
- Fastens together sections of rail by bolting fishplates to rails.
- Positions lengths of rail, sets of points and crossovers and secures rail with bolts, wooden wedges or clips.
- Spreads ballast and lays sleepers or metal plates at specified intervals.
- Lubricates points, examines fences, drains, culverts and embankments and carries out any necessary maintenance.
- Checks tightness of bolts and wedges, replaces damaged rail chairs and repacks ballast under sleepers if necessary.
- Patrols length of track and visually inspects rails, bolts, fishplates and chairs for distortion or fracture.
Reading Comprehension, Active Listening, Learning Strategies, Critical Thinking, Active Learning, Speaking, Monitoring, Writing, Mathematics, Science