Jobholders in this unit group weigh, grade and sort materials, goods and products.
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
- Operates machines to measure lengths of rolls of material and irregularly shaped materials such as leather or sheepskin.
- Records and calculates gross and net weight, checks delivery notes and prepares documents and labels for identification purposes.
- Uses balances, springs, weighing platforms, automatic scales and weighbridges to check the weight of goods, products and loaded vehicles.
- Ascertains material(s) required from order card, recipe, or specification and weighs and measures prescribed quantities accordingly.
- Assesses product quality visually and by touch, and grades according to weight, thickness, colour and other quality criteria.
- Examines hide, skins, leather, fabric, wool, rags, scrap metal, tobacco pipe bowls, fish, fibres, ceramics, produce and other goods.
Active Listening, Active Learning, Learning Strategies, Monitoring, Critical Thinking, Speaking, Mathematics, Science, Reading Comprehension, Writing