Jobholders in this unit group inspect and/or test metal stock, parts and products, electrical plant, machinery and electronic components, systems and sub-assemblies, textiles, wood, paper, food, plastics and rubber goods, parts and materials to detect processing, manufacturing and other defects.
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
- Reports any recurrent or major defects and recommends improvements to production methods.
- Examines yarn packages, textile fabrics and garments, wood or wood products, paper and paperboard, plastics and rubber materials, food products, food storage containers, etc., checks specifications, marks any repairable defects and rejects faulty items.
- Sets up test equipment, connects items/system to power source/pressure outlet, etc. and operates controls to check performance and operation of electrical plant and machinery and electronics systems.
- Checks sequence of assembly operations and checks assemblies and sub-assemblies against parts lists to detect missing items.
- Examines articles for surface flaws such as cracks, dents, defective sealing or broken wires by visual inspection or using aids such as microscopes or magnifying glasses.
Active Listening, Learning Strategies, Active Learning, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking, Writing, Mathematics, Monitoring, Speaking, Science