Horticultural trades workers intensively cultivate vegetables, plants, fruit, shrubs, trees and flowers in greenhouses, market gardens, nurseries and orchards.
Level 2 NVQ; GCSE at grades A*-C
- Supports trees by staking and wiring.
- Prunes and thins trees and shrubs.
- Propagates plants by taking cuttings and by grafting and budding, applies weed-killer, fungicide and insecticide to control pests and diseases.
- Sows seeds and bulbs and transplants seedlings.
- Mixes soil, composts, fertilisers and/or organic matter and spreads fertiliser and manure.
- Prepares soil in field, bed or pot by hand or machine.
Monitoring, Writing, Active Learning, Reading Comprehension, Active Listening, Critical Thinking, Mathematics, Speaking, Science, Learning Strategies