Health and safety officers counsel employees to ensure and promote health and safety in the workplace and co-ordinate accident prevention and health and safety measures within an establishment or organisation.
Honours, Bachelor's degree
- Gives talks and distributes information on accident prevention, and keeps up to date with the relevant legislation.
- Counsels individuals on any personal or domestic problems affecting their work.
- Maintains contact with those off work due to illness.
- Compiles statistics on accidents and injuries, analyses their causes and makes recommendations to management accordingly.
- Instructs workers in the proper use of protective clothing and safety devices and conducts routine tests on that equipment.
- Helps to develop effective health and safety policies and procedures and carries out risk assessments.
- Inspects workplace areas to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation.
Reading Comprehension, Active Listening, Monitoring, Speaking, Writing, Active Learning, Critical Thinking, Mathematics, Learning Strategies, Science