Jobholders in this unit group use specialist technical skills and knowledge to protect people from health risks associated with the environment in which they live and work. They maintain and safeguard standards, including taking legal action to enforce relevant legislation with regard to public health policy.
Honours, Bachelor's degree
- Initiates legal proceedings and gives evidence in court.
- Gives talks at public enquiries and meetings, ensures compliance through education, advice and enforcement.
- Ensures animal welfare for compliance with legislation, issues licences for premises such as pet shops, zoos and abattoirs.
- Monitors radiation activity, levels of noise, air, land and water pollution and takes appropriate action when safety levels are exceeded.
- Investigates outbreaks of food poisoning, infectious diseases or pests.
- Follows up complaints of unsafe workplaces, investigating accidents.
- Inspects businesses for compliance with legislation on health and safety, food hygiene and food standards and takes appropriate action in the event of non-compliance.
Reading Comprehension, Active Listening, Writing, Critical Thinking, Speaking, Active Learning, Monitoring, Mathematics, Learning Strategies, Science