Job holders in this unit group manage and oversee major construction and civil engineering projects and major building contracts for quality of work, safety, timeliness and completion within budget; forecast travel patterns and develop strategies for managing the impact of traffic-related demand.
Honours, Bachelor's degree
- Writes reports for funding bids and planning authorities and acts as expert witness.
- Examines accident 'backspots' to improve road safety.
- Assesses schemes to manage traffic such as congestion charging and parking controls.
- Forecasts the impact on traffic and transport of new developments (e.g. shopping centre).
- Records, monitors and reports progress.
- Identifies defects in work and proposes corrections.
- Regularly inspects and monitors progress and quality of work, ensures legal requirements are met.
- Hires and may supervise site staff, establishes temporary site offices, takes delivery of materials.
- Plans work schedules for construction projects based on prior discussion with architects, surveyors etc..
- Assembles information for invoicing at the end of projects.
- Briefs project team, contractors and suppliers.
- Draws up budgets and timescales for new construction projects based on clients.
Monitoring, Writing, Speaking, Critical Thinking, Active Listening, Reading Comprehension, Active Learning, Learning Strategies, Mathematics, Science