Boat and ship builders and repairers construct, install and repair wooden structures and fittings, and shape, position, rivet and seal metal plates and girders to form the metal structures and frameworks for marine craft.
Level 3 NVQ; A Levels
- Maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.
- Aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form decking, small wooden marine craft and their interiors and fittings.
- Selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools.
- Rivets together metal plates and girders, seals seams, smoothes welds, fixes metal doors, collars, portholes, tank and hatch covers.
- Uses machine tools to bend, curve, punch, drill and straighten metal plate as required and positions and aligns metal platework or frame for welding and bolting.
- Uses rules, scribes and punches to mark out metal plate with guidelines and reference points and cuts plates using appropriate tools.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements.
Learning Strategies, Critical Thinking, Mathematics, Reading Comprehension, Writing, Active Listening, Active Learning, Monitoring, Speaking, Science