Job holders in this unit group prepare and conduct court cases on behalf of clients, preside over judicial proceedings, and pronounce judgements within a variety of court settings and tribunals.
Honours, Bachelor's degree
- Conducts trials according to rules of procedure, announces the verdict and passes sentence and/or awards costs and damages.
- Hears, reads and evaluates evidence, and instructs or advises the jury on points of law or procedure.
- Drafts pleadings and questions in preparation for court cases, appears in court to present evidence to the judge and jury, cross examines witnesses and sums up why the court should decide in their client.
- Advises client on the basis of legal knowledge, research and past precedent as to whether to proceed with legal action.
- Becomes acquainted with the facts of a case through reading statements, law reports, and consulting with clients or other professionals.
Critical Thinking, Reading Comprehension, Active Listening, Writing, Active Learning, Speaking, Learning Strategies, Monitoring, Mathematics, Science